Instagram is my favourite social media platform; in fact, you could go as far to say that I’m something of an addict. But for those of you who haven’t decided whether it’s worth setting up another platform, or if you haven’t really “got” Instagram yet, then here are 7 reasons why your business should be on the image-based platform.
- Growth. As of June 2016, Instagram has 500 million active users, and the platform continues to grow every day. That’s 500 million people you could be touching base with, and showing your wares to. It’s smaller than Facebook, but it’s easier to be seen.
- It’s image-based. The old saying “A picture is worth a thousand words” is so true when it comes to Instagram. Unlike Twitter, you’re not having to cram all of the information you want into 140 characters. You can write as much or as little as you like. Some users use it for micro-blogging, others use it for displaying their photography. The word count is entirely for you to decide. With it being image-based, it’s the perfect platform for marketing your goods; especially if you sell physical products.
- It’s easy to be seen. Although Instagram has recently introduced algorithms like Facebook, you’re not having to fight with thousands of other businesses to be seen – as long as you use the right hashtags. If you’re a shop selling something physical (clothing, toys etc), then you really should be on Instagram, as users are always on the lookout for independent places to buy from.
- The person behind the shop. Instagram is all about community (see next point), and users love to see personalities come through an account’s photos. It’s a great way to tell your story; why you set up your business, who your family are (dogs and kids are especially popular!), and what you love about your business!
- It’s supportive. It’s definitely the friendliest of all social media platforms, and you’ll soon find a tribe of loyal followers and customers. Instagram has a glorious community feel to it; I think it’s the nature of sharing little squares of your life that encourages compassion, support and makes it a platform you want to get involved in daily.
- It’s pretty. Aesthetics are important for a successful Instagram account, as each square is a beautiful snippet of your life/shop. Natural light is the key here. For me, it’s such a joy to scroll through my feed (usually when I’m procrastinating) and I always put my phone down feeling inspired. If you’re a product driven store, then it’s such a fantastic opportunity to get creative with your items! You don’t have to have a DSLR to get beautiful photos either – the cameras on phones are so good these days, and using photo editing apps such as VSCO or (my favourite) Polarr are a great way of creating gorgeous images.
- Ads. You can now set up adverts on Instagram for your business, which aren’t in your face as they are on Facebook. They’re your images, they’re subtle as you scroll through the feed, and should reach a more specific audience than Facebook.